Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Book review for This is Your Brain On Joy

What if we could look at our brains and see our struggles, weaknesses, anxieties,etc? Would we want to? Would it scare us? Would we take the opportunity to better ourselves?

Dr. Earl Henslin says we can. By using a SPECT (single photon emission computerized tomography), Dr. Henslin believes we can stabilize our moods, restore brain health, and nurture spiritual growth.

My first impression of this book was that it would be an academic read, focusing on the biology of the brain. I also anticipated a promotional book with a strong emphasis on the SPECT. I was pleasantly surprised. Although, it was as I expected, it was so much more. It was intriguing. I found myself reading it as if it were my favorite mystery, so engrossed I couldn't put it down. I caught myself explaining the brain and how it worked to anyone who would listen (sometimes even if they didn't want to listen).

Besides the SPECT, Dr. Henslin offered practical advice for healthy living. His focus is on helping people become healthier and happier individuals.

This book is a definite read. I would give it a 4.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment